Department of Medical Biology
Responsible for introduction: Furka O. B.
The purpose of the course “Medical Genetics” is a detailed study of medical genetics, taking into account the current state of its development, patterns of inheritance of traits, mechanisms of development of hereditary pathology, environmental impact on the emergence of hereditary multifactorial diseases, diagnosis and prevention of these diseases.
As a result of studying student should know:
- The cytological basis of sexual reproduction and the fundamental differences of mitosis and meiosis;
- G. Mendel’s laws;
- chromosomal theory and genetics development;
- sex determination mechanisms;
- peculiarities of gene interaction;
- patterns of variability, causes of modification variability, the concept of the rate of response of the genotype and its significance;
- the role of mutations in the organisms evolution;
- methods of human genetics;
- major genetic and chromosomal human diseases;
- population genetics;
- Hardy-Weinberg law and its practical application;
- basic methods of plant, animal, microorganism breeding.
As a result of studying student should be able to:
- to use genetic terminology;
- to characterize the phenomena of independent and linked inheritance of features;
- characterize the genotype as an integral system of the body;
- justify the role of heredity in the evolution of organisms;
- give examples of hereditary and non-hereditary variability;
- to characterize mutational variability;
- explain the adaptive nature of modification changes;
- explain the meaning of the law of homologous series of hereditary variability for selection;
- to compare mutational and modification variability, forms of hereditary variability;
- justify the importance for careful treatment of the implementation of genetically modified products;
- explain the possibilities of using transgenic organisms.
- solve genetic and test tasks of different levels of complexity;
13. diagnose and perform statistical analysis of the likelihood of the occurrence of certain hereditary traits.