Thanks to the bilateral cooperation between the I. Horbachevsky Ternopil National Medical University of the Ministry of Health of Ukraine and Wroclaw Medical University (Poland), research and teaching staff of our university have a unique opportunity to complete internship programs at the clinical facilities of Wroclaw Medical University.
On January 13-26, 2020, Assistant Professor of TNMU Department of Otolaryngology and Ophthalmology Maksym Herasymiuk completed a two-week internship program at the Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery at Wroclaw Medical University (Jan Mikulicz-Radetsky Wroclaw University Clinical Hospital).
University Clinical Hospital is a hospital facility consisting of 24 clinics, 29 wards, operating rooms, treatment rooms, laboratories and other facilities for patients. The institution provides medical services in the field of basic and specialized health care, performs research, participates in the preparation of physicians for practical medicine and training of practitioners of different professions related to medicine.
In 2011, a 24-hour sanitary landing site for helicopters was put into operation here.
The Clinic of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery deals with complex diagnostics and treatment issues in the field of otolaryngology, in particular:
- larynx and neck: surgical treatment of laryngeal cancer (laryngectomy, chordectomy), treatment of paresis of the vocal folds, endoscopic laryngeal biopsy, restorative surgery of the throat, lateral and middle cysts of the neck and tumors of the neck of diverse origin;
- ear diseases: ear surgery (with cholesteatoma and various kinds of perforations), excision of the anterior fistula, mobilization (stabilization) of the stapes (in otosclerosis), ventilation drainage of the ear (in exudative otitis);
- nose and paranasal sinuses: endoscopic surgery of the paranasal sinuses (polyposis, chronic sinusitis, cysts of sinuses), plastic surgery of the nasal septum (septoplasty), plastic surgery of the external nose, electrocoagulation of the nasal cones, recurrent nasal bleedings, nose and paranasal sinuses neoplasms.
For two weeks, Maksym Herasymiuk had the opportunity to get acquainted with and learn the latest methods of surgical interventions from the best specialists in otolaryngology in the region:
- Dr. hab. n. med. Krzysztof Morawski, the head of the clinic, a leading otosurgeon of the Republic of Poland.
- Dr. hab. n. med. Marcin Frączek, Associate Professor of the Department and Clinic of Otolaryngology, one of the innovators of the department.
- Dr. Krzysztof Zub
- Dr. Marcin Masalski
The experience gained is very useful and will certainly be introduced into the teaching process and treatment at TNMU Department and Clinic of Otorhinolaryngology.
The participant would like to express his deepest appreciation to the TNMU administration and the bilateral cooperation coordinator, Honorary Professor of TNMU, Head of the Department and Clinics of Internal Medicine, Pulmonology and Allergology at Wroclaw Medical University, Prof. Wojciech Barg for the opportunity to train and study with leading otolaryngologists in Poland.
The information was provided by Ass. Prof. M. I. Herasymiuk.